Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronous motor driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkates2218

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
motor.jpg

In an machine this type(Refer Photo) of motor used for shifting purpose.Old one was damaged so I'm trying to change the new motor.

It having only two wires.When these wires are interchanged,the motor running in both clockwise and anti clockwise direction.
But some times,if the motor is wired for clockwise direction means also the motor running in anticlock wise direction.
Working Voltage:230VAC
Please help to solve the issue..

Hi,

I would be very surprised if the motor (even with reversed connections) runs in two directions.

Klaus

Hi,

It's very unusual. But now I recognized that "CCW/CW" is mentioned on the motor.
I never have seen this before.

If there is no mechanics inside that changes direction after every power cycling, then one can not predict direction.
Reversing the connection surely won't help.

Klaus

Running from AC is the clue, if the polarity of the wires doesn't matter, reversing them isn't going to fix the problem.
It is simply the wrong kind of motor for your application, the one shown is typical of motors to turn the turntable in a microwave oven, the direction of rotation is random each the power is applied.

Brian.

These single-phase synchronous motors will start turning to a "random" direction depending on the rotor position vs. voltage phase when supply voltage is applied.

These are used in low-power applications. Initial load must be light enough so that the motor can reach synchronous speed during a single cycle of supply voltage. Besides microwave ovens, I've seen these in electric can openers.

Side notes: I think some of these motors may have a ratchet mecanism which only allows one direction. As far as I know these motors were also made as shaded-pole versions which should not start into random direction as the shading coils will cause the internal flux to rotate.

Status
Not open for further replies.