Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium - bus of harnesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

UStralian

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Say I have a large number of differential pairs, eg ch1-16_P and _N. I can combine each pair into a harness, eg DIFPAIR = D_P,D_N. But to tie all of those pairs together, I need to use another harness, eg CHANNELS=CH1,CH2,...,CHn. I can't, for example, use that harness to feed a REPEAT block on a multi-channel schematic, but I could if they were in a bus. I can't make a bus called, for example, D_P[16..1] and D_N[16..1] because that breaks the differential pair functionality - nets need to be named xxx_N and xxx_P to be recognized as diff pairs, and those nets would be named D_P1, D_P2 etc. I have to keep all the wires separate on a parent sheet and add multiple sheet objects to reuse a child schematic which takes one of the diff pairs.

So my question, then, is is there a way to create a bus where each of the elements is a harness, not a wire?

I've never seen harnesses being combined with a bus, so I don't think it's possible. Harnesses are typically used to group logical signals together, for example MISO, MOSI and SCK for SPI or SDA and SCL for I²C. If all 16 channels form a 16 bit wide differential data bus, it would be logical to feed all 32 lines into the same harness, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back