Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attaching Aerial to Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmarchy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a small PCB which can be used to remotely switch electrical items via RF which I'd like to mount in the base of my desk lamp. The board has a small aerial (5mm dia x 5mm length coil of wire) and I'm wondering whether mounting it in the base of a metal desk lamp will actually work? Will the metalwork of the lamp act as a shield and prevent the radio signals from getting through?

I did wonder whether attaching the aerial to the frame (essentially using the metalwork as the aerial) would work, but then I remembered that it would also have to be earthed...

Has anyone any experience of doing anything like this?

Thanks

The answer depends on the operation frequency.

The RF frequency of the modules is 433.92MHz.

Do you think it possible with this frequency?

Thanks

Will the metalwork of the lamp act as a shield and prevent the radio signals from getting through?

This will attenuate the signal a lot.

I did wonder whether attaching the aerial to the frame (essentially using the metalwork as the aerial) would work, but then I remembered that it would also have to be earthed...

Difficult to say. At 432MHz such a connection usually wil make it worse. You have two options (isolated antenna inside box or connected to box) that are both bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back