Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about multiplication of gain_bandwidth in closed loop opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbarza

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
in section 12.6.1 of gray and meyer book (Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits) the below text has been written:
Therefore, the poles p1d and p2d of the DM half-circuit are given by (9.32)
and (9.33). Assume that the op amp is operating in a feedback loop, the feedback factor fdm
for the DM feedback loop is frequency-independent, and the right-half-plane zero has been
eliminated. Then to achieve 45◦ phase margin, the magnitude of the DM loop gain should be
unity at the frequency |p2d|. Since |gain|×frequency is constant from |p1d| to |p2d| due to the
one-pole roll-off there, we can write
|adm0.fdm.p1d| = 1 · |p2d| (12.73)

anyone can explain to me:
1) why between p1d and p2d poles, the |gain|*frequency is constant?i know in open loop opamp in this range, gain is roll of as 20db/decade
2) the relation 12.73 how is obtained ? note that this relation is written for closed loop opamp.
thanks

Hi,

1) why between p1d and p2d poles, the |gain|*frequency is constant?i know in open loop opamp in this range, gain is roll of as 20db/decade
You almost answered it on your own.
you say: gain drops by 20dB/decade.
Now a decade is a factor of 10
and 20dB is a factor of 10, too

While frequency rises ... the gain drops. And because both with the same rate (but in opposite direction) you get a constant gain_frequency_product.

Klaus

hi KLAUST
I tried to calculate to obtain this value(-20db/dec) in paper, but i couldn't. i started with open loop gain with A_op= A_0/{(1+s/wp1)(1+s/wp2)}.
suppose we accept the value -20db/dec in open_loop gain.the question is about in closed loop_gain. also i tried to obtain the relation between gain and poles in closed loop gain, but unfortunately i was unsuccessful.
thanks for your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.