+ Post New Thread
    Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Calculating cable current carrying capacity

I wanted to calculate theoretically current carrying capacity of cable. I have 24 Awg cable. Which is having 8 strands . overall dimension of the cable is 1.27mm and each strands dia 0.015 mm approximately. Now i need relation equation to calculate current carrying capacity of it. Sine i dont have datasheet can someone guide equation for calculating it.

https://oscarliang.com/wire-awg-chart-quadcopter-rc/

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3518 / 3518
    Level

Re: Calculating cable current carrying capacity

Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1114 / 1114
    Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nayakajit87 View Post
    I wanted to calculate theoretically current carrying capacity of cable
    In practice you do not calcultate the maximum current to carry on a wire, but rather the allowed heating and/or the allowed voltage drop due to the cable resistivity multiplied by its length, so there is no closed answer to your question.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the world that you live in, You are the part that you're giving ( Renaissance )

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13722 / 13722
    Level

The numbers mentioned in post #1 don't fit usual cable dimensions, except for the overall diameter.

24 AWG cable has cross section of about 0.22 to 0.3 mm², depending on the stranding. 7 strands (7/32) is a popular cable type, each strand having a diameter of 0.203 mm.

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    743 / 743
    Level

Which is having 8 strands
    this is a very uncommon number. The number of strands is usually decided by geometrical considerations: How many identical circles you can fit into a bigger circle with minimum waste of space.

Measure the resistance and calculate the dissipation for a given current. Also determine the thermal resistance of the insulation. Estimate the steady state temp of the cable for the given current.

Another important parameter may be permissible voltage drop. Even if your cable can take the current, the voltage drop may not be acceptable.

If you are using the bare wire as a fuse, other considerations may apply.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1114 / 1114
    Level
    Blog Entries

It is really important to know the kind of operation of the electric current flowing in that wire, whether in continuous or pulsed mode, which would still subject the conduction profile to an effectively smaller area, overheating for a short period the area near the insulation material. In short, the information given so far does not give a complete sight of what needs to be sized.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the world that you live in, You are the part that you're giving ( Renaissance )

--[[ ]]--