Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choppy output on TDC chip (max35101)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maoterk

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to build an ultrasonic flow meter with the TDC max35101 and have come upon an issue. When i connect the ultrasonic transducers to the chip, the output pulses are a bit choppy (pic1) generating wrong measurements on the receiver side. It should be a smooth sinusoidal signal so that the comparator has a smooth output. When i disconnect the transducers i get the normal pulses (pic2). Why is this happening and what could i do to avoid it. The transducer's capacitance is 1200pF. The circuit is uploaded also.
thanks

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgcircuit.jpg

Maybe you could tell us where you're probing. We could just guess, but that wouldn't help anyone.

Also, your "good" waveform is far from a sinusoid, why do you think it should be?

Maybe you could tell us where you're probing. We could just guess, but that wouldn't help anyone.

Also, your "good" waveform is far from a sinusoid, why do you think it should be?

I am probing at the transducer. The "good" output is just the pulses from the chip with the transducer disconnected. When I connect it I get somewhat of a sinusoidal signal but a bit choppy.

Are you sure the chip is generating transducer excitation signals with correct frequency and the launch series resistors are matching the transducer impedance?

The excitation signals are of the correct frequency and the series resistors are matched. I 'll rethink the power supply and see if anything is fixed.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.