Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free trial of Altium designer 18.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi,
I am reviewing a PCB we had layed out on Altium Designer 18.1.7.
Do you know how i highlight a net, and also how to get the grid on?

However, i am now having trouble because some PTH pads look as if they are connected to internal layer copper planes and they are not.....its strange because in other parts of the board, PTHs that go through copper planes but are not connected to them, have a gap round them so you can see that they are not connected to the copper plane.....so why in other areas of the board do they look connected (ie no gap)?
Also, i do not seem to have a component search facility...or highlight component. Do you know how to do this...eg "Find R2"?

Also, there doesnt seem to be a way of "un-showing all layers at once". Do you know how to do this?

Also, there doesnt seem to be any way of measuring a distance on the PCB....Ive checked all the drop down menus, but there's nothing there. Could you tell of anything?
Presumably one has to just use "set origin", and measure from there?

Presumably one has to just use "set origin", and measure from there?
No. Use "reports/measure distance" or ctrl-m. Similarly any function you are asking for can be found within a few clicks. Better work through a tutorial. Or perform a training.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i must admit ive found the answer to the above now, but i am amazed theres not a simple youtube video demo'ing these things.....it'd be very easy , and would improve Altium sales.
This is fascinating that these PCB package vendors seem disinterested in these simple marketing tricks.
I've got to get this pcb checked quick and theres not time to go routing through manuals.

- - - Updated - - -

The pad transparency thing is what i found by accident...its very good..explaining that in words would be a nightmare...but a simple youtube vid would explain it in seconds.

i must admit ive found the answer to the above now, but i am amazed theres not a simple youtube video demo'ing these things.....it'd be very easy , and would improve Altium sales.
Yes there is. Just need to find the right guy, which is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpgTud1iQ-4

The channel of that guy answers all your questions and more. I used his channel (and still use it) when got started with Altium.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree Altium written tutorials are lengthily and time consuming, but necessary in order to show each detail.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks but that doesnt show how to use the free Altium viewer, which i think is the same as the Altium payed environment but just viewing

You can request a free 30 day trial from Altium, so that should be enough to evaluate the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back