Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Number of layers available in diptrace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

A friend was given a PCB layout job and told to use diptrace.
My friend requested to use Eagle, but was told no, and that he must use diptrace.
None of the companies previous PCBs were in diptrace, in fact, they were all in a PCB package which I forget the name of now (i'd remember it if i heard it again) …..however, this package was now considered out-of-date, and so wouldn’t be used.
His job was to update 112 PCBs by putting an indicator LED on each of them.
The PCBs were already crammed with components, so a lot of “surgery” had to be done to the PCBs to find space for the LEDs.

My friend was learning diptrace for the first time.

After 3 days, the company sacked my friend, saying to him that diptrace only had 8 layers available (eg top copper, bottom copper, silkscreen etc), and that this was nowhere near enough for a serious PCB layout package. They told him that he should have realised this and that my friend should have suggested a different PCB layout package.

Do you not think that there should be a list of features of PCB layout packages that pcb layout package vendors should be obliged to provide, to prevent waste of time like this?
The government of which ever country should stipulate this?

I'm not aware of any PCB tool on the market absolutely restricted to two layers. DipTrace of course isn't, the very first example on their website has 8 signal layers. There are however restricted versions available, the cheapest versions starting with two signal layers.

Small Modifikation to an existing PCB would be preferably made with the original design tool or even with a gerber editor.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks, but sorry, by layers, i meant the "topcopper", "solder resist", "documentation", "silkscreen", "glue", etc etc........i call them layers but appreciate that this is not good terminology.
Anyway, DIPtrace only has eight of these available

- - - Updated - - -

...of course, decent pcb layout packages have all kinds of "layers" available.....so you can use them to draw construction lines etc etc etc

Anyway, DIPtrace only has eight of these available

As said, this is wrong.

T

The first post is very surreal, again from a strange world of PCB design Treez seams to frequent, that more often than not bears no relationship to the PCB universe I have inhabited for the last 30+ years.....
Why tell someone to use something, then sack them, there does seem to be some narrative missing somewhere...

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back