Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to learn embedded product development life cycle and use it to create a component

Status
Not open for further replies.

jani12

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to learn embedded software and hardware development life cycle and use it to create electronic hardware/software component. I need to approach this job systematically. For example, what is the order of tasks. Probably requirements should be gathered and documented. Then, what's next and so on? At what stage should we select hardware components.

Is this for a hobby or work? If for work then I suspect you will not have the time to learn before the boss starts getting cranky - outsource the work to a team that already does this.
For a hobby I suggest that you start small and work your way up. If you have some programming experience (especially in C) then you have a bit of an advantage but some of the concepts in embedded devices are very different from programming a PC (for example).
No matter how big the final "electronic hardware/software component" you have in mind is, I suggest that you get hold of a small development board and download a free IDE and compiler from a manufacturer such as ST, Microchip etc.. The development board lets you start programming straight away (as it has the MCU and often some peripherals) and there are almost certainly user forums that you can use to help you solve problems. Some allow you use plug in several MCUs so you can start with a simple device and build up.
Also look on the Internet for tutorials.
I always recommend that you start with a project to 'flash a LED'. While the end program is often very simple (typically some 10's of lines of code), it can be quite hard to do that from scratch as you need to learn about the IDE, the compiler, the configuration settings (sometimes called fuses) and the fundamental concepts of embedded programming (including how to deal with slow processors, limited RAM and ROM - especially when compared to a PC - and how to do things without an Operating System) and how to interact with ports and internal devices such as the oscillator and timers.
However, once you have that program working successfully, much of the learning curve to 'get a program running' has been done. After that you can choose another small project - may be to send text between the MCU and a PC - and build up.
Eventually you will get to the point where the concepts are clear to you and you have experience at developing on an embedded platform. THEN you can start putting together the specs of what you want to build. What 'real world' interfaces doers it need? What peripheral devices are required? How fast does it need to do whatever processing it has to do?
You can then start looking around for a suitable MCU and other components to do the hardware design. Once you have the requirements of the MCU sorted out, then you can look around for a suitable one. I would again suggest a prototyping or development board based on the type of MCU that you are considering and using that to get the basics of the code working. Even if the MCU is 'too big' (in terms of RAM and ROM, builtin peripherals you don't need etc.) at least you have a platform for development.
When you finally get to the hardware design, make sure that you have the appropriate programming and debugging capabilities included (or at least can be plugged in separately) - you will need them for sure.
Susan

Reactions: jani12

jani12

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
for systematic flow , better refer the book titled ,"computers as components '-Wayne Wolf (author).
The design domains and design process is discussed in the initial chapters.

As said in other reply , if it is hobby and learning then that is the flow.
If it is for a project , then you must have time to learn otherwise you will make your boss cranky.

Reactions: jani12

jani12

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back