Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

All HF bands modest BPF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have noticed that high L/C ratios in a series LC can make a usable BPF in a single stage (pole) which can be converted to all bands by tuning the C and a few taps on the L.
Here is a simulation at 40m.

I only use 3 inductor values and a small 6-50pF trimmer to cover the whole HF.
The 100pFs are there just to improve the response on higher bands and have no effect on lower.
Components values are practical and the passband attenuation is very low, whereas the stopband can be very high at low C values.
I have also played around with the I/O impedances and the shape does not change too much, but most importantly the passband peak frequency does not change too much.

Can it really be that simple?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53 KB · Views: 135

Your plot shows a central frequency of 7.018MHz, when for the filter values that you posted the central frequency should be 3.6MHz.
In the simulation you don't use a physical model for the capacitors. Add a value of about 150 for the Q of the series capacitor, and you will find that things are not so good.

However, band pass filters like this are used in almost all the commercial HF receivers/transceivers. Sometime with few more poles, to get better out of band rejection.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Your plot shows a central frequency of 7.018MHz, when for the filter values that you posted the central frequency should be 3.6MHz.
In the simulation you don't use a physical model for the capacitors. Add a value of about 150 for the Q of the series capacitor, and you will find that things are not so good.

However, band pass filters like this are used in almost all the commercial HF receivers/transceivers. Sometime with few more poles, to get better out of band rejection.

I am sorry you are right. It should be 13pF. I simulated it with 13pF and then I changed the value to 40 to do another simulation.

What is this thing about the Q you told me, this program does not have this parameter I think. Here are some parameters for the cap.

I am thinking of T106-2 amidon core with taps and ceramic or better air spaced trimmer, won't the Q improve?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 127

Double click on the series capacitor, check "Use Physical Model", and set the Q value.

neazoi

Double click on the series capacitor, check "Use Physical Model", and set the Q value.

Great thanks!

Starting values to put in this window? roughly.
I put a Q of 150 at 30MHz and no other settings changes and indeed the loss increased to almost 4db from when the Q was 100 at 100MHz!

(using air variable trimmers and the *-2 amidon core material)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Now make sense. This is the curse when use real life component models.
Generally Q increase with frequency, so Q mentioned at 30MHz should be fine.

neazoi

Now make sense. This is the curse when use real life component models.
Generally Q increase with frequency, so Q mentioned at 30MHz should be fine.

I wonder if one could use a preamplifier to compensate for the loss of the filter with real world components.
Then it could be a nice preselector (since it is easy to build) and the actual LC loss will be compensated with the preamp.
How does it sound?

This is about port impedance matching, which should be done in any filter design. The posted link use transformers to do this impedance matching.
What I don't like in the mentioned link, is that the designer is placing components (relays, and ferrite core inductors) inside of the big toroid. There are currents that affect the field inside of the toroid.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...00px-Toroidal_Transformer_Poynting_Vector.jpg

neazoi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back