+ Post New Thread
    Full Member level 1
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

Getting started with STM8/STM32 microcontrollers ST-LINK/V2 - OR - ST-LINK/V2-ISOL ?

I am starting to buy some STM8/STM32 microcontroller dev boards on Ebay and am looking into what programming dongle to buy. I'm getting the MDK-ARM-STM32 IDE from Kiel and would also like to buy a genuine programming dongle from ST.

I've been reading up on the ST-LINK/V2 and ST-LINK/V2-ISOL (a difference in cost by about $50). From what I see the more expensive ST-LINK/V2-ISOL only offers the addition of 1000 Vrms high isolation voltage.

Has anyone that has experience with either of these think the ST-LINK/V2-ISOL is really worth the extra cost ?

Thank you !

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1062 / 1062
    Level
    Blog Entries

Re: Getting started with STM8/STM32 microcontrollers ST-LINK/V2 - OR - ST-LINK/V2-ISO

A long time ago, working with the firmware of a board designed to measure public electric power, I accidentally skipped one of the daily steps to setup the gig, and burned the PC (the programmer for some reason was left intact). It was another programmer for another microcontroller, but it was not electrically isolated; so unless you intend to work with environments that may pose some risk to you or to the equipment involved, there would be no reason to purchase the more expensive model.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the world that you live in, You are the part that you're giving ( Renaissance )

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    355 / 355
    Level

Re: Getting started with STM8/STM32 microcontrollers ST-LINK/V2 - OR - ST-LINK/V2-ISO

You don't need iso version. I have it, but never used. Buy cheapest st-link and be happy.
    Love me or hate me. All infractions will be ignored.

--[[ ]]--