Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xenon lamp trigger trasformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnnedaboard

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

a confirmation to avoid the worst ...

To change the lamp, I have to desolder the wires from the lamp and the trigger transformer ...

the only thing I did not remember, the common trigger wire if it was combined with the positive or negative of the lamp

and so I had to get the wiring diagram to understand!

Question: the common trigger transformer, given the scheme that I got, must be connected on the positive lamp ... right?

The trigger usually connects between the two electrodes closest to each other. Xenon tubes do not have a positive and negative end, they work equally well both polarities but the trigger voltage goes across the two points on the tube needing lowest breakdown voltage, in other words with least distance between them.

Brian.

the lamp that I replaced, has the trigger wire wrapped around the glass tube

IMG_5498.JPG

and it works well with the circuit I attached (before I forgot to attach it ...)

TRIGGER_WIRE.jpg

I just want a confirmation that the common trigger goes with the lamp anode ...

I see trigger transformer secondary connected to DC- in most application circuits, e.g. from www.excelitas.com. I believe that's more due to convention and the fact that most flash supplies have DC- grounded than technical requirement. Consider that the trigger voltage is essentially AC.

High power xenon tubes usually have dedicated anode and cathode terminals with different electrode material, by the way.

In your circuit, the cathode is switched ("hot") which may suggest to reference the transformer to "cold" anode side instead.

Reactions: tubelectric

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.