Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to encoding linear signal to logarithmic signal with less bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tompak

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am new to encoding signals ... However, I have a problem that I am not sure how to solve:

- I have a 12-bit linear signal, which I want to encode/compress into the 6-bit logarithmic signal representing 0:-0.5:-31,5 dB from max amplitude. How can I do that?

- When received, how do I decode/map it back?

Best regards

I have a 12-bit linear signal, which I want to encode/compress

The nature of a signal tells a lot about the suited technique to encode it. As you are referring to a linear signal, depending on the slope maybe even a compression would be not necessary.

how do I decode/map it back?

Honestly, I do not believe that a logarithmic approach could feature the lossless compression.

I don't hear the OP requiring lossless compression. Logarithmic compression is used for some applications, e.g. good old telecom µ-law. If performed on a digital input signal, it's simple number mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back