Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] search for through hole components in gerber/drill files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucast85

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I've a set of output files (gerber, NCdrill, and ODB++) of a new revision of a PCB and the old one. I want to know if it is possible to compare the two set of files in order to search for the through hole components. In detail I want to know if we need to request another wave pallets (the through hole components were moved) or if we can reuse the old one (the TH components remains at their original position).

I've some viewer such as GERBV and Altium Designer.

Thanks a lot

Luca

In case of ODB++, it depends on the used entities. ODB++ may contain bill of material and placement information that can directly answer the question.

In case of basic gerber (copper artwork + drill data), a possible way is to recognize footprint patterns. But a full set of board production data would also contain pick and place information...

But a full set of board production data would also contain pick and place information...
Sure, I've also BoM and pick and place files. So to search for TH components I've to read all the BOM P/N and search for TH parts and eventually find them with the their location with the help of pick and place file. I'm right?
I think there was a simplest way.
Thank you!

Look at the Gerber's with top layer and a silkscreen outline, PTH components should be obvious..... That's how we reverse engineer ancient data to re-create a new board from the Gerber info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back