Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constructing Tesla coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is wood inappropriate for a neon sign powered tesla coil?

The only things in its favor are its inexpensive and high resistivity were as a polymer can become static charged. Wood also has a low combustion temperature. Is there an ideal material?

You certainly can't use wood to make a coil !!!

Where are you thinking the wood should be in the construction?

Brian.

You certainly can't use wood to make a coil !!!

Where are you thinking the wood should be in the construction?

Brian.

I mentioned wood for enclosing the spark gap, capacitor and other things. But wood has a low combustion temperature to act as an effective enclosure.

That's a relief! I had visions of a giant spiral staircase with thousands of turns.

Wood is perfectly adequate as a skeleton for building a Tesla generator but as with all other materials, you need to ensure it is out of range of flash overs. I don't think combustion is a particular concern as most plastics will burn to carbon under the same conditions.

Brian.

I suppose a few coats of enamel spray paint would help a bit against combustion.

Im sure tesla used wood in his original coils.

Didn't want to start a different topic but not sure whether stainless or brass screws are ideal for spark gaps. There are lots of stainless steel materials.

For spark gaps it probably makes little difference but for the end point of a continuous arc you should go for the one with highest melting point. Arc temperatures will be very high and if you are looking for a directed discharge path, will be pointed so the heat will be concentrated on a small area.

I'm guessing the next question is "which has the higher melting point?" and the answer is I have no idea. It probably depends largely on the exact alloy proportions in Brass and processing of the steel when manufactured.

Brian.

If you don't mind spending a couple extra dollars you might consider TIG welding electrodes. They are usually made of tungsten. From what I understand thoriated tungsten holds up better than pure tungsten. Looking on eBay I see a pack of 10 - 1 mm x 150 mm electrodes for around $5 usd. You may find something for even less or if you have a welding shop nearby you may luck out and they give you one. If you decide to use brass screws check to see that it not just brass plated.

I want to use tungsten carbide rods off mcmaster but fastening them is an issue as the price greatly increases for larger parts.

I want to use tungsten carbide rods off mcmaster but fastening them is an issue as the price greatly increases for larger parts.

What diameter rod are you looking for?

- - - Updated - - -

Was trying to think where you might salvage something suitable. Many cutting tools use carbide but they usually just carbide tipped. While searching around I came across pine wood derby car weights. The weights are tungsten because of its density. I found a set of four .25" x 1.35" tungsten carbide weights on eBay for 6$ + shipping. If your interested search eBay for " four tungsten carbide rods - pinewood derby car scouts weights.

Im going with bend to shape stainless steel wire and fasten it down with screws and washer for the spark gap. This will permit large parallel surface area and mitigate single point heating as in a nail or screw tip.

Is earthing necessary with a direct earth path for a NST tesla coil?

It doesn't seem it should be since the neutral is directly tied to earth ground and would provide the voltage gradient after attaching one side of the high voltage secondary to neutral but Im not sure.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.