Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Way to Implement Shared RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, no, I miswrote.

There will never be two modules that need to write the same bit at the same time (hence the merged A/B write), however one module may write it and another module may read it. This is in addition to read access via the "external" interface to my core.

Hi,

There will never be two modules that need to write the same bit at the same time (hence the merged A/B write), however one module may write it and another module may read it. This is in addition to read access via the "external" interface to my core.

I didn´t ask for "at the same time".

--> To avoid further confusion: Show your sketch.

Klaus

They won't need to write to the same bit at any time. For example TXBUSY would only be written by the Tx module.

to it to keep everything in one place.

I see that for the size of memories, the width of buses, etc. putting values in parameters allows instantiation of different copies of module with different settings, so maybe the number of registers is a special case and can be a parameter, but considering my aim of describing bits in one place how would you recommend I do this without defines?

Thanks!

`include my_parameters_of_the_register_definitions.vhd
and include it in any file that needs to access those address definitions.

or pass the parameters through the instantiations of all the modules from the top level (my preferred method).

Using parameters makes code far more portable and reusable.

Hi,

They won't need to write to the same bit at any time. For example TXBUSY would only be written by the Tx module.
This is what I thought.

It's your job to provide informations...I don't want to ask again...

Klaus

`include my_parameters_of_the_register_definitions.vhd
and include it in any file that needs to access those address definitions.

or pass the parameters through the instantiations of all the modules from the top level (my preferred method).

Using parameters makes code far more portable and reusable.

Many thanks for all your help ads-ee! I have decided to go with the trickle-down parameters like you suggested. I already have a basic version implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back