Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is setting Avr fuses important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magdy_said

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey, i am new to the AVR world, just got an ATMEGA32A, and started to watch tutorials on youtube and surfing on avrfreaks.net but most of tutorial doesn't mention any thing about "fuses of avr" but found some single videos is talking about burning the fuses of avr before starting and warning that if i didn't wrong i will damage my chip forever.
i also saw this https://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/ where i can know the right values of chip's fuses
my questions is, Is setting Avr fuses important or i can start without it? if so can I do it with Atmel studio or just using this third-party unknown source programms like 'extreme burner' and 'khazama'?

Hi,

but most of tutorial doesn't mention any thing about "fuses of avr"
I can't believe this. Every good basic tutorial should mention it.

Two important things:
* there's no way around reading the datasheet.
* there's no way arond getting familiar with the fuses

For sure there may be applications where you can use the default fuse setting. But how can you know before you read through fuse descriptions.

See it this way:
Do you need to know how to shift gear when driving a car?
It's possible to drive all way in one gear....but it's expectable that soon you are not satified to drive a car without shifting gear.

Klaus

What you may not indeed find in the tutorials at least so explicitly is that the most known cheap programmers via SPI do not have the ability to override the values of some fuses, so whenever downloading the binary code to the chip you should be careful to not turn the chip useless if it is of the SMD type (eg. it can not be removed from the board for external rewriting). One of the most common misleadings is to consfuse external clock with external oscillator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back