Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal camera for SMPS thermal inspection and finding shorts in 0402's

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi
Can anybody recommend a cheapest thermal camera for finding shorts in electronic components on PCBs down to 0402 size?
We would also like to do thermal inspection of SMPS PCBs to 60W.
We would like it, if possible, to have both optical and thermal images superimposed, and of course, both in real time video.
We would also like it to have a tripod.
Also, some way of storing images, and a means to get the images on to a computer.

Well just look at FLIR and decide how much you want to spend. It's about $300 for the cheapest with a camera. These types don't make temperature measurements from the image sensor but instead use a seperate spot sensor (which is poorly aligned to the center of the camera).

We have one of these (TG165) and while the absolute temperature functionality totally stinks its usefulness for spotting shorts or unexpected hot spots probably exceeds what you'd expect based on screen size and resolution.

That said $1000 gets you a good sensor with the real image overlayed. If you can, go for that.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, i must admit we have now found dome Chinese ones.....

We are thinking of buying a DALI LT7-P thermal camera for examining power supply PCBs.
However, we cannot assess what is the focal length of it…..the datasheet just says “x2 zoom”
Do you know what is the focal length of it?

DALI LT7-P thermal camera…..
ttps://www.proficomms.cz/files/datasheets/Dali/LT3-PLT7-P/Manual%20of%20LT7-P(LT3-P).pdf

We believe that the focal length is important, because a decent resolution with a long focal length means that your overall image will not be that good.
The HT-02 is 60x60 resolution, and from the video its hard to see how an overheating 0603 resistor would look with this resolution?

HT-02 thermal camera….
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_QyIJlaStY

I have no problem with chinese stuff (I love the $500 Siglent scopes we bought and the Korad power supplies are fine). But can't you at least find cheap chinese stuff with some Amazon reviews?

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If there are a group of 0402's packed together and you're trying to spot the exact one in the group it will be tricky. But if you're wondering whether a hot 0402 will light up the camera in general the answer is yes. Partly because heat inevitably spreads. That's based on my experience with our low resolution camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.