Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you know 60hz Regulator for 110V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kangyunmei

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am in need of a circuit that will take 110V/60hz from standard wall AC and regulate the 60z, keep it at a constant 60hz. I have a hammond organ and the pitch is determined by using the 60hz from the AC power as its reference point. I have researched UPS and the only solution is an online Double conversion for $500, thats little out of my price range. Any Guru's out there that can shoot me a circuit design, Preferably with A component list?

Best solution would be a magnetic voltage regulator.

I don't know anything about Hammond organs but it seems strange that mains is used as a reference frequency unless it has a synchronous blower and uses reeds and pipes. Even then, the pitch is normally determined by the mechanics of the pipes not the exact air flow speed.

I would guess the cheapest simple solution would be a DC PSU and electronic inverter. Mains in --> 12V DC --> Mains out. The advantage being that the mains out frequency is electronically derived.

If it is an electronic organ, the easy solution is to find where it senses 60Hz, which I would expect to be a simple circuit, then replace it with a crystal derived one. It would give frequency stability magnitudes better than a mains derived one.

Brian.

A classical electromechanical Hammond organ uses a synchronous motor to drive the tone wheel.

Unless you don't rewire the organ circuit, the 60 Hz mains power supplies also tube amplifiers, I guess at least 500 VA.

The synchronous motor needs hardly more than 10 VA.

Short of converting the mains to a steady 60Hz, it would be better if you can find out from the circuit where it samples the incoming mains waveform and replace that with a feed from a steady 60Hz oscillator.

As FvM said, classic Hammon organs used tone wheels driven by a small synchronous motor.
If the mains frequency shifts, then the pitch also shifts.

As FvM also mentioned, you need to only produce enough power to feed the synchronous motor. The remaining electronic loads you can still feed directly from the mains. A smaller inverter could be used, as long as its frequency is crystal controlled.

I'm now wiser about Hammond organ mechanics!

I agree, if the motor speed is crucial, just powering it alone from a stable frequency is the best solution. The amplifier supply is converted to DC anyway so the frequency it sees is irrelevant. Most small commercial inverters use crystal timing if for no other reason than they produce the output waveform from the same MCU that handles their housekeeping functions and it usually needs a crystal to operate.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.