+ Post New Thread
    Banned

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Do you know 60hz Regulator for 110V?

I am in need of a circuit that will take 110V/60hz from standard wall AC and regulate the 60z, keep it at a constant 60hz. I have a hammond organ and the pitch is determined by using the 60hz from the AC power as its reference point. I have researched UPS and the only solution is an online Double conversion for $500, thats little out of my price range. Any Guru's out there that can shoot me a circuit design, Preferably with A component list?

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13395 / 13395
    Level

Re: Do you know 60hz Regulator for 110V?

Best solution would be a magnetic voltage regulator.

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4224 / 4224
    Level

I don't know anything about Hammond organs but it seems strange that mains is used as a reference frequency unless it has a synchronous blower and uses reeds and pipes. Even then, the pitch is normally determined by the mechanics of the pipes not the exact air flow speed.

I would guess the cheapest simple solution would be a DC PSU and electronic inverter. Mains in --> 12V DC --> Mains out. The advantage being that the mains out frequency is electronically derived.

If it is an electronic organ, the easy solution is to find where it senses 60Hz, which I would expect to be a simple circuit, then replace it with a crystal derived one. It would give frequency stability magnitudes better than a mains derived one.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13395 / 13395
    Level

A classical electromechanical Hammond organ uses a synchronous motor to drive the tone wheel.

Unless you don't rewire the organ circuit, the 60 Hz mains power supplies also tube amplifiers, I guess at least 500 VA.

The synchronous motor needs hardly more than 10 VA.

Banned

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Short of converting the mains to a steady 60Hz, it would be better if you can find out from the circuit where it samples the incoming mains waveform and replace that with a feed from a steady 60Hz oscillator.

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    771 / 771
    Level

As FvM said, classic Hammon organs used tone wheels driven by a small synchronous motor.
    If the mains frequency shifts, then the pitch also shifts.

As FvM also mentioned, you need to only produce enough power to feed the synchronous motor. The remaining electronic loads you can still feed directly from the mains. A smaller inverter could be used, as long as its frequency is crystal controlled.

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4224 / 4224
    Level

I'm now wiser about Hammond organ mechanics!

I agree, if the motor speed is crucial, just powering it alone from a stable frequency is the best solution. The amplifier supply is converted to DC anyway so the frequency it sees is irrelevant. Most small commercial inverters use crystal timing if for no other reason than they produce the output waveform from the same MCU that handles their housekeeping functions and it usually needs a crystal to operate.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    771 / 771
    Level

For a fascinating read about Mr Hammond’s invention of the small synchronous motor, which led him to build wall electric clocks and then organs:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammond_Clock_Company

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--