Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] puzzled with this transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete16

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have an MXR 117 phaser pedal that I was repairing. It plugs directly into mains and has a transformer (120V Primary - 24V center tapped secondary) on the board which is followed by a rectifier and regulator to bring it down to 15VDC.
I had it hooked up directly to my power supply to fix it and after replacing a couple of bad op amps and shorted caps it now works.

I decided to test the transformer before putting it back together. The DC resistance of the secondary is about 120ohms between each leg and the center tap.
However the DC resistance of the primary is 1K. This sounds way to high to me.

The transformer is working though. Has anyone ever heard of a 120AC - 24VDC transformer where the primary DC resistance is so high?

The input is 115VAC the output is 48VAC (24 - 0 - 24). I know the circuit uses about 40ma max. But I don't know the exact power rating. It just seems to me that the primary DC resistance of 1K is too high.
I have attached a schematic of it
Schematic_flangerm117_12.jpg

It¨s a low power transformer. 1k primary DC resistance is OK.

Reactions: pete16

pete16

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.