Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which is more susceptible to noise low bitrate or high bitrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpu-rtl

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which yields higher PSNR? Higher bit rates (128 kbps) or low bit rates (32 kbps)? Thank you for your time.

I'd call both of these "low".

The noise type matters some. Phase noise of equal absolute
jitter would bother the "high" rate more, as it consumes or
corrupts a larger percentage of the available eye-space.

Voltage noise probably bothers them equally. But again the
noise character matters; "glitches" might have only a
probabilistic interference when they coincide with a clock
edge, and then the low rate signal would have 4X better
odds of missing a given interfering glitch.

But this smells like a homework question, which wants
your professor's or textbook's opinion and not mine.

Having just worked on a 480 Gigabits per second link that is positively snail speed!

I think it depends what you're doing. I am currently working in the terabits per second, but only moving data from one part of an ASIC to another. If I wanted to move information to/from the edge of the galaxy or the bottom of the ocean, then some tens of kilobits per second might be lightning fast.

In response to the original question, I think it's fair to say that under standard (e.g. undergraduate) signal models, higher bit rate signals are more susceptible to noise. As an example, think of a BPSK constellation versus a 256-QAM one with the same SNR. Of course, you could then argue that at higher "coded" bit rates, you could increase redundancy for the same "information" rate. Then I guess it becomes more like a discussion of the Shannon-Hartley theorem, which tells us that the information rate is limited only by bandwidth and SNR (independent of "coded" bit rate).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back