Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noob's question about sensitivity list and timing of signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

EceWoman

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am a total noob in VHDL/Verilog so I ll need your valuable help. I am trying to design a 2x2 ethernet switch like this : https://github.com/kc285/ethernet/tree/master/SystemVerilogReference/projects/ethernet

I have only one clock clk, and I want to have a syncrhonous start of packet A signal (in_sopA) so in the testbench i write

Code:
@(posedge if1.clk);
	if1.in_sopA <= 1'b1;

inside the design I have written

Code:
always @(posedge if1.clk) begin

if (in_sopA == 1'b1 && full_A == 1'b0) begin
      write_en_A <= 1'b1; 
      fifo_a_dest_addr <= inDataA;
    end

end

so i notice that write_en_A is asserted after 2 clock cycles and not during the current posedge of the clk. So I believe there is a problem tracing posedge of in_sopA because posedge of in_sopA is happening nearly the same time with if1.clk posedge. Should I add another clock and generate in_sopA with the second clock?

i tried changing the sensitivity list to

Code:
always @(in_sopA) begin

if (in_sopA == 1'b1 && full_A == 1'b0) begin
      write_en_A <= 1'b1; 
      fifo_a_dest_addr <= inDataA;
    end

end

end it works fine.

2nd question ,

can you please guide me how would you try to design a 2x2 switch ? Your first thoughts of the overall architecture

3rd, can you give me some general guidelines of when one should use FSM in a design?

Thank you very much, I would kindly ask you, if you have the kindness to answer my questions to be as illustrative as you can.
Thank you again

I'm not a Verilog guy, but it looks to me like what you've actually done is changed your clock from if1.clk to in_sopA; not what I think you intended.

If you draw a timing diagram, that will help you understand why you've got a 2 clock delay. On the first clock, in_sopA changes. So, write_en_A won't change until the second clock.

But if you're a noob, I would think you might want a much simpler project than an Ethernet switch.

I'm not sure about your FSM question. I don't know if there are any 'rules', I kind of just use intuition (and experience). Certain processes just obviously lend themselves to FSMs. If things need to happen in a sequence, then an FSM is probably the right way to go. Draw a state-flow diagram.

Understand the code in your 'design' describes a flip flop with clk of if1.clk and a clock enable of (in_sopA == 1'b1 && full_A == 1'b0).

Given that, it assigns 1 to write_en_A on the first posedge where the clock enable is true. That's probably 1 clock cycle after your clock enable statement becomes true.

change your testbench, make it blocking and operate on the opposite clock edge of the design.

@op: sensitivity lists are almost never the answer. They are a legacy burden that are increasingly being marginalized. Synthesis mostly ignores it. For Verilog, synthesis uses it to determine the clock and (optional) async clear for a FF. Fixing sim issues by tweaking the sensitivity list might mean the sim works but the synthesis doesn't.
You should use "@(posedge clk or negedge aclr)", "@(posedge clk)", and "@(*)". In system verilog, you should use always_ff and always_comb. (sometimes you might have a negedge clk, or posedge aclr)

When you have always@(posedge clk) or always_ff, you should mentally think that you are writing logic for the next cycle. For an FSM, this means writing output logic based on transitions.
When you have always@(*) or always_comb, you should mentally think that you are writing logic for the current cycle, or that you are writing the next_value logic for a register and that this next_value logic could be used in the current cycle.

In Verilog/VHDL, a value is retained if nothing in the always block updates it. for always@(*), this means a value not assigned in all code paths infers a latch. always_comb can detect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back