Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuits capable of compensating leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAMALEAO

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,

Does anyone got an idea of how to implement a circuit that can compensate leakage? Either in a regulator, buck, etc?

Thanks.

I think you need to explain what you mean by 'leakage' to get a meaningful answer. To some of us it means keeping water tanks topped up, to others it means pico-Amp carriers jumping depletion regions in semiconductors.

Brian.

Deterministic (therefore matched) leakage can be
cancelled / compensated by simple circuit design but
anomalous leakage, operating point driven leakage
creep and so on can't, so much.

You can find some old-timey bipolar op amps that do
input bias current cancellation, etc. in the circuit design.

Although I reckon I didn't specify correctly the type of leakage I think @betwixt it is a bit difficult on an electronics forum be referring to water tanks and etc.

In regards to the question itself, I am talking about the leakage provoked by big devices like power switches or pass devices or even transistors part of any kind of circuit for example a push-pull stage etc.

Hope this helps you to help me.

BR

Hope this helps you to help me.

Questionable. You didn't elaborate the question much, except for specifying the application range. The question is still too general I think.

Any transistor shows some leakage current which is unwanted in case of doubt. But compensation means will application dependent. Available building blocks are e.g. current measurement, controllable current source, short switch.

Lets suppose a pass device of an LDO. If you have leakage in there, due to its size, the output will be permanently pull-up at no load. I guess there isn't any other example better than this one. BR

You can supplement the output stage to push-pull, with the pull down transistor current limited to low µA range.

• With a very long NMOS at the output, controlled by the output control voltage, or
  • with a normal NMOS at the output, controlled by Vgs < Vth (down-divided control voltage, or fixed voltage), or
  • with a high-ohmic resistor at the output (no control)

Lets suppose a pass device of an LDO. If you have leakage in there, due to its size, the output will be permanently pull-up at no load. I guess there isn't any other example better than this one. BR

Yes, and many datasheets specify a minimum load current
(leaving you, the user, to "compensate" the leakage per
advice).

Some LDOs have a low side (sink) device, especially ones
that are meant to offer good HF PSRR at light loads. A
Class B or AB-ishh arrangement. This is less about
"compensation" of a leakage, more about having an
ability to keep Zout sane as regards loop compensation
while load current / impedance swings wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back