Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which LINUX is best to learn embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another general question:

What is your definition of BEST ?
What distros are available for the hardware platform you are considering ?
What is the purpose of your target application ?

A general answer:

Buy a cheap SBC board (eg. Raspberry), build a testbench with some peripherals (eg. USB Audio) and make experiments

If you are really into embedded programming then the answer is probably "none".
Except for the Raspberry Pi (which may be a good entry point but can lead to bad practices), almost all of the microcontrollers I've seen or used are 'bare metal' - your code is the only code in the device.
Arduinos' provide a 'main' function and some library code that provides some code interfaces. However you really are very close to the hardware with these.
Susan

which LINUX is best to learn or practice EMBEDDED ?

That's the problem in saving words and/or not being careful to pose a question; lead to multiple readings.
Maybe you rather wanted to ask:

which is best EMBEDDED SYSTEM to learn or practice LINUX ?​

RTOS and LINUX plays a important role in embedded industry ,..and as there are lots of verities in this so ,i really don't have any idea on this.

so ,i really don't have any idea on this

First step, define exactly what is your question, and then elaborate it in a specific scope.
Second step, think of answering at least part of the questions that have been asked.

Also, there are some significant differences in the ways that an RTOS and and OS work.
Also can you explain what you are trying to do what makes you think you need to know about RTOS and Linux for embedded systems? (I'm not saying that they don't have their place in embedded systems, but what you want to achieve will help direct our responses.)
Susan

I have beaglebone and this is the best way to learn the embedded systems by managin it via SSH.

I have beaglebone and this is the best way to learn the embedded systems by managin it via SSH.

Hello,

in my opinion one distro is good for embedded. It is "Gentoo Linux", because it is so called "meta-distribution" (if you want you can made is almost "from scratch").
The "Yocto" distribution is derived from Gentoo "emerge" and this Linux (yocto) is considered as standard in embedded linux applications. BTW: Yocto is rather a "build system" than pure Linux distro.

regards

Hi,

The first thing I would probably suggest to do is get yourself a Small computer like the others have suggested - Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone etc which are based on Linux (if this what you prefer). There are plenty of tutorials on how to interface sensors, add drivers to existing kernels etc. (depending on what you exactly want to learn) for all these platforms so that should give you a good starting point.

If you are looking to learn more on embedded RTOS then you can have a look at micrium OS which is small sized RTOS. You might need more background on RTOS concepts before you start though.

There is no one particular way to approach learning embedded systems you just need to dive in.

Hope it helps.

Faiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.