Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laoding and Off-Loading Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qasim1991

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I work in an off-grid building (fully off-grid!), and I there is a situation now. We have got six resistive heating elements, and each one consumes 6kW (total 36kW for all six). Whenever we have enough power from the sun, I tend to run those heating elements, but I always turn them on one by one, never all six at once. And do the same while turning them off.

Now generally speaking, we know that its a good practice to not load the building at once with such a huge load, and don't dump such a huge load at once as well.

Am I correct that this can potentially cause some harm? Or this is all just being too cautious, and actually will not affect the system? If it will affect, how can I prove it theoretically to my boss?
I really need to do this! Which specs of the inverter and inverter charger define these characteristics? Please have a look at the system diagram as well:

FSH Power Production.PNG

There may be disadvantages to turning all units on or off simultaneously.
Examples:
* If an accident happens it could damage all units.
* If a fuse blows then it is not obvious which unit caused it
* possible increased intensity of spikes and surges
* rise or drop in voltage may affect sensitive equipment elsewhere

Off-grid systems sometimes use excess power to heat water. Is that the purpose of your resistive elements? What if shielding corrodes and water comes in contact with an element? Do kiloWatts of power go through pipes to distant places?

Equipment may contain capacitors which charge rapidly on power-up, often drawing surge current. When several units turn on at once, it means greater surge current.

Or equipment may contain inductors or transformers which generate a high-voltage spike when current is abruptly shut off. Properly-built equipment should contain safeguards, yet these can be defeated by age and wear.

Off-grid systems sometimes use excess power to heat water. Is that the purpose of your resistive elements? What if shielding corrodes and water comes in contact with an element? Do kiloWatts of power go through pipes to distant places?

This is the boiler which has the heating elements. **broken link removed**

And the distance is not much for the power to travel.. maybe 1-2m.

I have contacted Victron energy for the response time of Quattro Inverter/Charger, as that in my view will determine if the system will trip or not. Any other specs you reckon can be important to take a note of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back