Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] making -15/+15v out of single power supply 12Vdc Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

It´s not the schematic alone that makes good sound. Part selection, PCB layout, wiring, coupling to mains (earth), GND loops .. may also influence AC hum

No.
17V at the input at the voltage regulators does not mean the AC is 17V.

When one talks about AC voltage one usually means AC sine RMS.
The diode capacitor solution charges the capacitor to almost the peak value of the sine.
But the peak value of a sine is 1.414 x the RMS value of the sine.

12V AC RMS sine --> 17V peak sine. (positive as well as negative)
Subtract 1 V for the diode drop and another 0.5V for the capacitor voltage ripple then you may expect about 15.5V (with some load current)
(The exact value depends on a lot of things: Mains voltage, transformer, diode, capacitor value, load current, mains frequency....)

Maybe.
We professionals should do it the other way round.
* decide specifications for the preamp
* desgin preamp circuit
* decide specifications for the supply circuit
* design the supply circuit.

Klaus

Well i am not a professional :) But i find it logic that i want to be sure that i can make somehow a double power supply (+v/-v) before i start thinking about making a circuit wich could need a double power supply :)
Otherwise i simply have nothing to test it with, i do not have a variable power source on my bench to use to test the circuit (no professional) :)

That's how my logic works.
Ok i agree it could be after designing the op-amp circuit that i have to adapt the supply circuit :)
but with +15/-15v it should be at least sufficient (i don't say ideal)

Hi,

Can you please explain to me how the +48 volt schematic is possible then ??
Maybe you have to send an e-mail to presonus that they take a laugh at the laws of physics?

presonus.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.