Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PNoise Analysis of ILO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer4ever

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am running PNoise analysis for my Injection-locked oscillator before and after injection. Before injection, it's just a VCO, and in SweepType field, I choose "relative". However, when I inject a signal, "relative" option gets me the same PNoise of the VCO, which is not reasonable. My question is, since ILO is a driven circuit, should Sweeptype be "Absolute" or "default", especially as their results are very reasonable? and what are the difference between the three options?

Thanks,

Screenshot.png

See pnoise statement in netlist.
Also see logfile of spectre.

Thank you so much :)

I have one more question just to make sure I do it right: I inject my circuit with a 5-GHz signal and the o/p is 1GHz. Does it mean Sweeptype is "relative" in this case or still "absolute" as the circuit is actually driven?

Last edited:

I inject my circuit with a 5-GHz signal and the o/p is 1GHz.
What do you mean by "o/p" ?

Does it mean Sweeptype is "relative" in this case
or still "absolute" as the circuit is actually driven?
I can not understand what you want to mean at all.
However if your analysis is a PSS analysis with fundamental_frequency=1GHz, it is a driven PSS analysis.

Why do you relay on default setting in Pnoise ?
Simply set sweeptype as relative or absolute clearly without using default.
That's all.

And you can confirm actual sweeptype used for Pnoise in Spectre logfile.
Surely see logfile of Spectre.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by "o/p" ?

By "o/p" I mean the o/p of the ILO. I inject the VCO with a 5-GHz and since it's a 5-stage super-harmonic ILO, its o/p is 1GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back