Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Technology length and program for circuit drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

usernamer

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
As in the title I have two questions:

1)I have seen that when referring to some new technology of transistors it is said for example 28nm or some other length which as far as I have understood refers to gate length, is it correct?
If so why is that parameter taken into consideration since often (at least in analog design, but don't know about digital design) transistors are made with a longer gate than that for design requirements?

2)I am looking for a free software that would allow me to draw schematics, more specificly I would need fully differential opamp/OTA, some softwares I have found just do not have such elements (as https://www.schematics.com or https://www.circuit-diagram.org and are therefore useless for me).
Does anyone know such a software?

Thanks for helping

1) digital design and sram will use the min length 99% of the time. that's what defines the density achieved on the wafer by a large extent. no one cares about that little analog macro sitting on a corner of the die...
2) I think you are mixing up two things. drawing schematics vs library components.

You want a schematic tool that will at minimum export a SPICE
netlist. Some do, some don't. xcircuit purportedly does but I
did not like the tool when I tried it. gEDA is worth a look esp.
if you are more interested in PCB than chip design. LASI is a
somewhat interesting play, can do schematics and layout and
there's plenty of info on hooking up WinSpice to that. Not up
to large circuits, and LVS is a hole in the plan (maybe use
NetGen?) but DRC is there and it runs on Windows.

Hello ,
The thing 28nm in your case means that it is the minimum dimension a device can have.In analog design
we aim for higher gain which is dependent on ro . ro takes the value which depends on length. Hence length should be more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back