Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information about a device

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have bought a device that has an input, that connects to telephone line. The output is the input of the telephone line. This device samples the input and when there is sound on the input over 0,5Vpp, it waits, and when the sound leaves, it waits for 5 seconds, then it closes and opens a relais module. After that it sends 1kHz PWM, with adjustable duty cycle from a pot, for 5 sec in the output (so the previous output, when there is PWM, vanishes for 5 seconds). After that the output connects to the input and continues to output the signal of the input. Where this device could be used for? Do you have any idea?

It is probably a FAX diverting device - not used much these days and not much use for anything else.

They 'listen' to the line for the FAX carrier tone, if it isn't there it diverts the call to a normal telephone, if the tone is present for long enough it assumes a fax machine is making the call and diverts the call to your fax machine instead. More modern machines had it built in to them.

Brian.

Thank you.. and what is the purpose of PWM?

PWM doesn't travel well through a telephone line so I would guess the pot is just to minimize distortion. I would have to see the device to be sure.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.