Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

active crossover and passive crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

kangyunmei

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am very interested in car modification. Those who have a certain understanding of car audio modification may know the concept of active crossover and passive crossover, but it is not very clear to me. What is the active crossover and passive crossover?

Hi,

Please do simple internet research on your own.

in short (not complete infromation):
* Active crossover is placed at input of the power amplifier
* Passive crossover is placed at the output of the power amplifier

For more information, please
* first do an internet research on your own
* elaborate your question
* give (links to) documents you refer to

Klaus

Do you know the function of a two-way speaker crossover network or circuit?
It passes high frequencies to the tweeter but blocks low frequencies that will damage the fragile tweeter. The crossover also passes low frequencies to the woofer and sometimes blocks high frequencies that cause a woofer to Shriek.

I have seen and heard many speakers with passive crossovers and also many sound systems with active crossovers and most (the ones designed properly) sound fine.
Most cheap two-way car speakers use only one capacitor in series with the tweeter to prevent damage and the woofer is allowed to Shriek. Some of them sound fine.

I am not very clear about the function of a two-way speaker crossover network or circuit? If the quality of the system equipment is not good enough to play the active crossover, it is a waste of money. Many people use the speakers that are very cheap and not very good as active crossover . The sound is not as good as the same brand of good power amplifiers when the whole set of audio is matched. What do you think? Is that right?

The difference between the active crossover [moderator action: removed link] and the passive crossover in the car audio is whether the crossover process is before or after the power amplification, and the crossover is called the active crossover before the power amplification.

Last edited by a moderator:

One amplifier can drive a speaker that has a passive crossover but two amplifiers are needed for a two-way (woofer and tweeter) active crossover. The active crossover system produces less distortion.

I saw an article telling the benefits of bi-amping: One amplifier for the bass portion (woofer) and another amplifier for the treble portion (tweeter). Although we like the convenience of having a single amplifier do the entire job, it is not sufficient if its watt rating is equal to the sum of the bi-amped sections. Instead the single amp needs to have 5 or 10 times the power we expect. The reasoning has to do with the way we sum peak decibel levels as compared to the way we sum peak watt levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.