Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to open PCB file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agrum

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have to open a .pcb file but I'm not able to do it. I have tried with Altium but it say "File type not recognize". I have tried all the importers with pcb extension on Altium but none of them work.
I have also tried with Orcad and Cadstar but the result was the same.

Any idea?

PADS, Protel and several other programs use .pcb as a file extension. Most store the data as lines of text describing the start and end points of track segments and pad shapes so it you open it in a text editor you might find clues.

Brian.

Instead of guessing the dedicated layout tool or trial-and error work, it may be easier to scan the file source (and it's neighborhood) for info about the used tool.

Thanks for replying.
I already opened the file with notepad but I didn't find any information about the used program.
I'll try with PADS PCB viewer now.

Yes, some PCB tools use ASCII like format, e.g. newer Eagle files. Your apparently doesn't.

Using Free PADS PCB Viewer I'm able to open these files.
Actually the problem is that I have to modify them and I just have Altium. How can I import to Altium? Looks like there is no importer for PADS .pcb files

Thank you so much

- - - Updated - - -

I think that I have to convert it from pcb to ASCII, then I can use the import wizard in Altium.
The only problem is that I don't have PADS for doing this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back