Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIM Antenna error: Unbalanced structure is not allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankinbel

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,

I got this error:
Code:
A.R.MIM.1:M8 { @ Unbalanced structure is not allowed.  
     A = STAMP unBal_CTM_M8 BY CTM
     NET AREA RATIO A M8i >0 [!!AREA(M8i)*AREA(A)]
     B = STAMP unBal_CTM_M8 BY CBM
     NET AREA RATIO B M8i >0 [!!AREA(M8i)*AREA(B)]
     NET AREA RATIO CTM M8i GATE SD > 0 [!!AREA(M8i)*!!AREA(CTM)*!!AREA(GATE)*!AREA(SD)] 
     NET AREA RATIO CBM M8i GATE SD > 0 [!!AREA(M8i)*!!AREA(CBM)*!!AREA(GATE)*!AREA(SD)]
}
Is there anybody know what it means? I have six same capacitors in my rectifier circuit. When no connection for them, there is no error. After I add the connections for them, it pops up mutiple such errors.

Guys, I think I figure it out what's going on here. If one side of you MIM cap(CTM or CBM) is connecting to a or multiple ODs, then the other side of the cap has to be connected to OD somewhere. If it is connected to a pin for the chip, then make a OD - metal via at the pin pad. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Guys, I think I figure it out what's going on here. If one side of you MIM cap(CTM or CBM) is connecting to a or multiple ODs, then the other side of the cap has to be connected to OD somewhere. If it is connected to a pin for the chip, then make a OD - metal via at the pin pad. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes. Basically your figure out is solution. If I correct, this is antena error. The lower METAL of your MIMCAP is connected to GND/VSS?
You can via this lower METAL to the upper MATAL, then from the upper METAL you can connect directly to OD (GND/VSS).

For example: in the MIMCAP, MET6 is connect to some net. MET5 connected dirrectly to OD is not allowed. You shoud connect MET5 to MET6 through VIA56 and then connect to OD.

Yes. Basically your figure out is solution. If I correct, this is antena error. The lower METAL of your MIMCAP is connected to GND/VSS?
You can via this lower METAL to the upper MATAL, then from the upper METAL you can connect directly to OD (GND/VSS).

For example: in the MIMCAP, MET6 is connect to some net. MET5 connected dirrectly to OD is not allowed. You shoud connect MET5 to MET6 through VIA56 and then connect to OD.

You are right, but why the bottom plate can't directly conenct to the OD?

You are right, but why the bottom plate can't directly conenct to the OD?

Actually it can be directly connect to OD. I will explain more detail now.

MIM capacitor need balance structure for preventing antenna effect. So both of METALTOP and CBM (Capacitor Bottom Metal) are float or both are connected to the OD region.
When the CBM is connected to OD and METALTOP is floating, the etching will stress MIM cap more severely and may damage the MIM cap.
So if you want to connect CBM directly with OD, the METALTOP needs to be connected with the protection diode in order to create discharge path for etching plasma.
(The breakdown voltage of protection diode cannot be lower than the maximum operation voltage of MIM cap).

Here is suggestion from tsmc180 PDK.
cm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back