Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

improve radio selectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoosefheidari

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
i have a radio which use CXA1619BS IC.problem is radio selectivity.strong local stations didn't let to receive adjacent channels so i want to use another filter
i extract schematic from radio board and i want to replace SFU455B ceramic filter with CFWLA455KGFA-B0
can i do this?and just replace new filter with the old filter? or circuit need chanes?

here is extracted schematic(just IF parts)(NPN transistor is S9018):

https://s8.picofile.com/file/8341918792/SFU455.jpg

SFU455 nov26 2018.jpg

here is SFU455B datasheet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ppZaomR-CvsbccnbIfIBcBegu0aysJOm

here is CFWLA455KGFA-B0 datasheet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XEoAo0yThSp9p3GNDMNhBCWLiOr_aNGu

and CXA1619BS datasheet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g-gqH_Lu7Ef8nqXrjFaQraO_-RLgtYXh

Last edited by a moderator:

Strong Radio Channels don't impact directly the IF Frequency only, they do impact also LNA so interference signal(s) may cause Harmonic Distortion due to Limited Linearity of the LNA.
So, using a Narrower Band Ceramic Filter may improve the selectivity but not it's not only one who perturbs the selectivity.

Strong Radio Channels don't impact directly the IF Frequency only, they do impact also LNA so interference signal(s) may cause Harmonic Distortion due to Limited Linearity of the LNA.
So, using a Narrower Band Ceramic Filter may improve the selectivity but not it's not only one who perturbs the selectivity.

for example a local station that is 20 KM away from me on 1188 KHz is heard even on 1320 KHz so i think using that filter solve this problem and radio can receive stations between 1181 to 1320 KHz.is that right?
and i have another question is CFWLA455KGFA-B0 narrower than SFU455B and does it solve problem?

If you really want to improve selectivity on the 455kHz IF, you have to go with a Mechanical filter.
Follow ebay and sometime you find cheap ones.
**broken link removed**

You have to search for a filter with bandwidth between 6kHz and 9kHz (looks like you are looking for AM bands).
Depending on the existing IF amplifier, using mechanical filters is possible to need an extra amplifier to compensate for their insertion loss.
Those amplifiers helps also for their impedance matching, which is totally different than that of ceramic filters (or crystal filters).

Attachments

• filter.gif
    filter.gif
    20 KB · Views: 206
If you really want to improve selectivity on the 455kHz IF, you have to go with a Mechanical filter.
Follow ebay and sometime you find cheap ones.
**broken link removed**

You have to search for a filter with bandwidth between 6kHz and 9kHz (looks like you are looking for AM bands).
Depending on the existing IF amplifier, using mechanical filters is possible to need an extra amplifier to compensate for their insertion loss.
Those amplifiers helps also for their impedance matching, which is totally different than that of ceramic filters (or crystal filters).

thank you
but i dont't want spend 90$ for a filter while many 60$ radios have good selectivity without any mechanical filter
do you see CFWLA455KGFA-B0 datasheet?it's a 6 element ladder type filter ,so you think it's not a suitable filter for improve selectivity?

CFWLA455KGFA-B0 is a new generation filter from Murata and should be fine for a 60 bucks radio.

Mechanical filters were designed for professional radios, having out-of-band rejection up to 90dB.
But more important than the rejection, mechanical filters have a very flat out-of-band spurious response, when ceramic filters have a lot of "bumps" in that region.

CFWLA455KGFA-B0 is a new generation filter from Murata and should be fine for a 60 bucks radio.

Mechanical filters were designed for professional radios, having out-of-band rejection up to 90dB.
But more important than the rejection, mechanical filters have a very flat out-of-band spurious response, when ceramic filters have a lot of "bumps" in that region.

you'r absolutely right about mechanical filter and their price against these murata filters says everything.
i want improve my radio selectivity by spend under 10 dollars.
in this situation i think that murata filter is the best solution.am i right?
and again my important question is should i just replace new filter with old one or another components need changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back