Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two OpAmp connected in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have signal which comes from an OpAmp which has done amplification. I would like to add an offset to this signal which means I need to use a summing amplifier whose one input should be amplified signal and the other input has to be the offset signal.

How is the impedance related in this case ? when the output of one OpAmp has to go to the other OpAmp ? Do I need to terminate the output of first OpAmp with 50 Ohm and then connect to the second OpAmp ?

Hi,

the only useful information is "50 Ohms".

Don´t you have any other informations for us?
* why 50 Ohms? What signal is it? Where does it come from and where does it go to?
* signal frequency range
* amplitudes
* voltages
* wire length
* what OPAMP

Klaus

- 1kHz sin wave signal 1 V peak to peak with 0 DC offset is connected to AD844 which amplify it to 5 times.
- All the wires are between 10 to 15 cm in length on Breadboard.
- The input signal is just a test signal which is coming from a signal generator whose output impedance is 50 Ohm.
- The amplified signal (1kHz sign wave 5 V peak to peak 0 DC offset) has to be connected to another AD844 to add offset of 2.5 V so that the output signal become 0 V to 5 V.
- Do I need to terminate the first OpAmp signal with 50 Ohm before it goes to second OpAmp ?

Hi,

All your new informations call against 50 Ohms.

* termination is useful when the wavelength of the signal frequency is shorter than (or comes close to) the cable length.
With 1kHz you may expect a wavelength of 250km...
* AD844 is not suitable to drive 50 Ohms. May I ask why you use a that expensive and overly fast OPAMP?

Application:
You only need a second OPAMP when you are interested in the DC voltage of the original signal.
Otherwise just use a good capacitor and two resistors for 2.5V DC biasing.

--> It´s absolutly not useful to use 50 Ohms termination. No benefit.

Klaus

Although certain situations might need two op amps to achieve a similar job, I'm pretty sure your entire task is achievable with a single transistor. 1) Amplify 1VAC by several gain, and 2) output rides a DC voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back