Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement AVR in generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileychic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to implement AVR in AC generators ?

AVR = Automatic Voltage Regulation.

I am planning to use PIC microcontroller but it is not yet decided. I need full details about how to implement AVR. Later in this same thread I will discuss issues related to its code.

Hi,

You need an generator with excitation coil. This generates the rotating magnetic field.
With the current of the excitation coil you influence the magnitude of the magnetic field and thus you influence the magnitude of the output voltage.

In opposite to an asynchronous generator this is a "synchronous generator" which needs a special treatment (frequency synchronisation, phase synchronisation, voltage control) before you switch it to the grid.
When connected to the grid: use the excitation current to control phase angle.

For offgrid solutions you need to continously measure the output voltage and then adjust excitation current to get constant output voltage.

Klaus

How is magnetic field controlled ? By controlling engine speed ?

I believe you should tell more about the application so that we avoid further guessing. I guess, the application is not grid-tied, simply because controlling a grid-tied generator is surely over your head.

How is magnetic field controlled ? By controlling engine speed?

Suggests you'll read a bit about AC power and AC machines basics. Engine speed sets the AC frequency. In all applications where frequency matters (e.g. running motors), the speed must be controlled independent of the voltage.

Client said it is grid tied. I should drop the project ?

Grid-tied is rather complicated, KlausST has listed some required functions, also you need safety features like anti-islanding control. You'll better start with studying existing industry standard generator controllers rather than designing everything from the scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back