+ Post New Thread
    Member level 4

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

What is the meaning of Skin Depth?

Hello,

My book defines skin depth as "a measure of how far the wave penetrates into the conductor".

Just to double check if I am on the right track of thought, does this mean that since it is a conductor all charges quickly move to the edges. Hence, the wave (?) will only be able to penetrate as far as charges exist? So skin depth would be of the order of mm. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

dzafar

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3557 / 3557
    Level

Re: What is the meaning of Skin Depth?

Hi,

Without knowing details we need to guess...

Maybe you talk about an alternating magnetic field...
    When it touches a conductive material ... it causes current within the material..and the current again a magnetic field in opposite to the initial field.. this cuses the initial magnetic field to be attenuated the deeper it goes into the conductive material.

The less the material condictivity the deeper the magnetic field will penetrate the material.
    The lower the frequency the deeper the magnetic field will penetrate the material.

Or you talk about the skin effect of a AC current carrying wire --> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--