Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EM model Harmonic balance simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kooky613

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I simulate a single balanced mixer in ADS and i am using harmonic balance for gain.
At the output i have a low pass filter.
When i simulate the mixer with "ideal filter" (lumped element filter) everything seems ok. But when i draw the layout of the filter and then i create the EM model, I insert the model in the schematic and the gain is much more different. Why is this happening?
When i simulate only the 2 filters with s-parameters simulation the results are quite close.

RF,LO freq: 5-8 GHz
IF freq: 200Mhz-1.2 Ghz
Filter: Low pass cut off frequency 1.2 GHz

The loss maybe higher than expected or there may be a mismatch between filter and the circuit.
Have you ever checked the practical filter with its layout ( Momentum+Components) ?

Yes i create the em model and i put the capacitors and inductors that i use and for the filter alone the s parameters simulation is almost the same with thefilter with only components!
when i do the harmonic balance simulation i see a problem in the gain

and then i create the EM model, I insert the model in the schematic and the gain is much more different. Why is this happening?

It seems that something is wrong with your EM simulation. In your EM setup, have you included frequency range down to DC, and up to the harmonics that you specify in HB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back