Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pop-ups attempting to link some website on my browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akanimo

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Lately, I've been having my browser suddenly attempting to link up some website that my antivirus blocks. Antivirus reports that potential risk exists in visiting the site.

I don't know exactly what's causing it but I have noticed one pattern of event. This attempt occurs anytime I power up my laptop either from shutdown or hibernation and then plug in my power cord.

What could be causing this and how can I end it?

Give us some clues...
Some information on the laptop type, operating system and web browser you use and what you last did before the problem occurred would help.

Brian.

Sounds like your computer has a malware called a browser hijacker. It redirects you to advertisements or sites which may covertly try to send more malware.

You need to track down this problem right away because it could grow. Run a virus checker, preferably more than one.
Examine all processes running in your system, by opening Task Manager. (Consider getting a free utility called SysInternals Process Explorer.)

Look for any identifying behavior in the browser hijacker. When you find out its name then you can do an internet search in hopes there's an easy way to eliminate it. It can ruin your system to a degree you'll need to reformat your hard disk and reinstall everything.

Thank you very much betwixt and Brian for helping.

Give us some clues...
Some information on the laptop type, operating system and web browser you use and what you last did before the problem occurred would help.

Brian.

The laptop type is lenovo Y700 Idea pad running Windows10. It's affecting Google Chrome. I have Microsoft Edge but it's not affected.

Sounds like your computer has a malware called a browser hijacker. It redirects you to advertisements or sites which may covertly try to send more malware.

You need to track down this problem right away because it could grow. Run a virus checker, preferably more than one.
Examine all processes running in your system, by opening Task Manager. (Consider getting a free utility called SysInternals Process Explorer.)

Look for any identifying behavior in the browser hijacker. When you find out its name then you can do an internet search in hopes there's an easy way to eliminate it. It can ruin your system to a degree you'll need to reformat your hard disk and reinstall everything.
Exactly what's happening here. I have downloaded Sysinternals Process as you advised.
I have also noticed that Chrome alone has greater than 70% activity on the CPU even when it's supposedly idle, just because of the malware activity.

I run McAffee antivirus and that's what's keeping it from opening the those websites.

Each web browser seems to have a different vulnerability which can be exploited.
Example, look at your list of browser plug-ins. Delete any which clearly don't belong. You can reinstall one later (I think).

Same with your list of installed programs. Examine these in the control panel called 'Add/remove programs' or 'Programs and features'.

I downloaded free Microsoft Security Essentials. It appears adequate. It maintains its database updated via internet.

If you discover a malware program, find out the correct procedure to delete it. Some install files in hidden locations. Some change the registry. You may need to carry out several actions to get rid of it and related programs.

- - - Updated - - -

Mcaffee is among the reputable anti-malware programs, of course.

I have disabled the IDM extention and it seems to work. No pop up since then. I'm still monitoring it though. I will provide feedback as I observe improvement.

An increase in background browser activity like that suggests you are 'Bitmining' or being a bot for someone without realizing it. Someone brought a computer to me recently that was working but had suddenly slowed down when using IE. Without knowing it, all the internet activity was being diverted through a proxy address in Israel, the user was in the UK.

This is an example of why I ditched Windows years ago and never looked back.

Brian.

Update: This problem is still not solved.

I decided to delete temporary files from my system. In the process I found uuidksinc.net as allowed website caches and databases under Website Data Settings. I made an Internet search to see what site it is but couldn't get much information.

Any info whether this might be connected to the problem?

I also found lpsnmedia.net in the list. McAfee has a bit of an analysis on it with threat level rated high.

I also noticed that as I was looking at the list, some items left (like they got deleted) and after a moment the browser popped up. After sometime, the list got updated with all the items that left back in there. I don't know whether that is normal. I'm so confused.

Last edited:

Did you try Chrome's Reset command (somewhere in its menu)? It clears cookies, history, cache, etc. Perhaps plug-ins. Either all at once or selectable one at a time.

I once got a browser hijacker on my Win XP laptop. It caused redirects and slowdowns. I tried methods I found on the internet, but was unable to eliminate it. Finally I decided to reformat, reinstall Windows and everything else.

It's a drastic solution but the problem was getting worse. There are malwares which install programs in spots on your hard disk where you can't find them. Some programs monitor your keystrokes (including credit card nos.) and transmit them to unknown locations.

Ransomware is emerging as a major threat in numerous incidents to individuals and businesses. Some malwares bide their time for a while so they can invade your attached storage and networks.

The sinister creators try to disguise malware so it can get past our virus checkers. So even McAfee might fail to detect your problem.

Yes I have. It couldn't help. I've seen that people have had exactly the same problem in the past with redirects to same website. Eventually they solved the problem. I've tried a couple of the steps they took to solving theirs but I haven't had any luck yet. I'll try the others before thinking of formatting the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back