Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I need to turn on DFM for research purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankinbel

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I am a PhD student, working on an LDO design for RF energy harvesting. I have a question. Do I need to turn on DFM of DRC for research purpose not commercially?

Thanks,
Frankinbel

If you want to learn something about IC design, the answer should be yes, I suggest.

Thanks for replying. Seems the DFM has a much stronger constraint about the DRC rules and I really would like to learn more about it. Does it make a huge difference between tapeout results and simulaton result if I am not turning on the DFM just with "minrule"?

Thanks for replying. Seems the DFM has a much stronger constraint about the DRC rules and I really would like to learn more about it. Does it make a huge difference between tapeout results and simulaton result if I am not turning on the DFM just with "minrule"?

Yes it does. I have seen current and delay shifts in the order of 15%.

Yes it does. I have seen current and delay shifts in the order of 15%.
Thank you. That is pretty big. I am a newbie at tapeout. So is it going to be much less shift if the layout is with DFM? How much is it going to be generally?

The DFM rules may result in more layout bloat and crosstalk
/ loading (from the density fills) but there is another consideration
of a more "political" nature. That is, if you didn't "check the box"
you get to have a long discussion about why not and why it
"should" not matter, involving various peripheral parties who
generally add only delay and b!tching to the proceedings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back