Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crydom solid state relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalonymann

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are using Crydom SSR, 3 pole 50 amp - I'm interested in learning more about how these are gated to conduct and then ungated and block current flow.

There are many different models of Crydom SSR. The ones I use employ an opto-coupler driving back-to back SCRs so they mimic a Triac.
Being for AC only, they turn off at zero crossing of the AC cycle and are turned on again by current in the LED side.

Brian.

Hi,

The datasheets should give a lot of informations.
And I assume you will find more information at the Crydom web site.

Klaus

The schematic on crydom site indicates these are SCRs ( **broken link removed** ) but they don't show what is used to turn on or off. The turn-on voltage is 90VAC the turn-off voltage is 10VAC. My understanding of SCRs is they are either on or off, there is no in-between state.

Hi,

true. There is no "state inbetween". It is just hysteresis to get noise immunity.

You can compare it with a mechanical relay. Maybe it will be safe ON with at 90V, but it will be safe OFF below 10V.
This doesn´t mean the mechanical relay contact´s resistance is somewhere between ON and OFF.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.