Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

kicad - change via pad to IC's pin pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep.hobbyiest

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am designing PCB in kicad. I am trying to change the via pad bit same as IC pin's pad. I didn't get success. i googled but no similar searches.

Here is in picture, i want to make PAD 1 same as PAD 2.

Cu86Vco.jpg

Hi,

The square pad usually is the "pin 1 identifier". Why do you want to change it?

I am not experienced with kicad.
I assume you need to modify it in the library. This shouldn't be a big task.

Klaus

I think they mean the via hole rather than pin 1. I'm not sure it can be done by editing the via itself as it could influence other layers but you could change it to a test point so it uses normal pad layout.

Brian.

I think they mean the via hole rather than pin 1. I'm not sure it can be done by editing the via itself as it could influence other layers but you could change it to a test point so it uses normal pad layout.

Brian.

yes @Brian, this is what i want. i wrote pad 1 in wrong place in hurry.
i want to make via same as test point or IC pin pad.
I am preparing single side pcb board. So, for that i will be use jumper on other side. i want to solder wire on this via.

i tried to change the via size but i didn't get large pad to solder wire. instead drill size is only changing.
here is pic what i meant to say.
wzOSBhW.png

Just tried it here with Kicad 5.01 under Linux and I could edit the pad and hole.

Select the via then select "properties" (or press 'E' on the keyboard)
You should get a panel showing "track and via properties".
In it there are settings for "Diameter" and "Drill".
I tried 2.5mm for the pad diameter and 0.6mm for the hole, it seemed to work fine and only on the selected via, the others stayed as they were.
Make sure the via type is set to "through" and not "micro" or "blind".

Brian.

i tried that way too..
pad size is changing but in 3d view i could see mask over pad and very small pad which can be soldered.

In above picture as you can see the via property i was talking..

I see the problem in 3D view. It is actually correct because a via does not need a copper ring, it uses an insert through the layers that does not require soldering.

I suggest you use "1pin" from the connectors library instead, I tried it and it works. It also lets you set the diameters and pad shape.

Brian.

Hi,

a quick google search says that there is a library with dedicated testpoints. Add the test point in the schematic.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back