Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] op amp constant current thermal issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is this particular form of a cc circuit vulnerable to the cc value being varied by thermal rise?

Op amp is lm358 please disregard the pot, its bound to have variation with thermals, Im more concerned about the opamp and fet varying current due to thermals.

opamp-cc.png

Hi,

* FET thermal drift is compensated by the OPAMP. No considerable error expectable.

* OPAMP input offset drift will cause errors. I_dtift = V_opamp_drift / R_shunt; --> Read OPAMP datasheet about thermal drift.
* R_shunt drift will cause error. Read resistor datasheet about thermal drift.

Klaus

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

* FET thermal drift is compensated by the OPAMP. No considerable error expectable.

* OPAMP input offset drift will cause errors. I_dtift = V_opamp_drift / R_shunt; --> Read OPAMP datasheet about thermal drift.
* R_shunt drift will cause error. Read resistor datasheet about thermal drift.

Klaus

I noted the high value "shunt" is there because lower values such as 20R demand ~8mV with 25v supply. I suppose I can use lower voltages using a zener across the pot and cause it to accept ~20mV for 1mA but this is till quite low. Is the millivolt reference severely susceptible to noise thus distorting the constant current regulation?

Last edited:

Hi,

First decide what current range you want, then decide which shunt to use.

Klaus

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I had a misap with shunt power consumption apparently 1k works well also.

Status
Not open for further replies.