Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

802.11 a and 802.11af

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpu-rtl

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the implementation of the standards, does it take them to have different devices or do they use the same? Only that they differ in the frequency of opration and bandwidth. Thanks in advance. :grin:

I'm not aware of retail products implementing 802.11af. Unless you can correct me, the question is purely hypothetical. Technically, it's feasible to make combo devices supporting 2.4/5 GHz bands and new UHF WiFi bands.

Im trying to simulate this standard in matlab. 802.11a is already available. Do you think that 802.11af modification is possible from 802.11a preimplemented software?

Overall, they are very different and are targeted towards different devices. (For comparison, it is worth noting that 802.11a is virtually identical to 802.11g - they just operate in different frequency bands).

However, deep down in the structures of 802.11a and 802.11af, they do use some similar techniques. In particular, both use OFDM QAM. However, the schemes used by 802.11af are more specifically based on 802.11ac (which is 2 generations newer than 802.11a/g and has numerous new features. The release order was 802.11a/g --> 802.11n --> 802.11ac).

If you want any help simulating 802.11a/g, I highly recommend working through Annex I.1 of the standard. I recently uploaded all of my MATLAB code for doing that here: https://www.edaboard.com/blog/2069/.

802.11ac (and therefore 802.11af) is massively more complex. I would therefore recommend starting simple and only trying to tackle a small subset of the possible features. Do you want to simulate demodulation, or only modulation? (Demodulation is much, much more complex than modulation. I intend to upload some code for that soon.).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back