Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

data and clock synchronization using 74HC4046 PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahbaz.ele

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using HDB3 decoder IC for HDB3 to TTL/NRZL convertor.
for synchronization I need to use 74HC4046 PLL IC.

Input frequency is 2.048MHz
output should be the same 2.048MHz.

can anyone help me in this regard to select R1, R2 and C1.
and the rest of the components value related to VCO input.

Even in Proteus simulation this
IC is not working properly.

Hi,

the datasheet gives a lot of information about the ranges and the typical frequencies for R1, R2 and C1.

But the datasheet can´t know your requirements.
We don´t know them either.

I assume you have to decide them first.

Klaus

Which signal are you feeding to the 4046 PLL? I don't think that the phase/frequency detector is suited for clock recovery from HDB3 coded signal.

Sorry Mistake
Clock required for CRX from CKR
as @ FvM said Clock recovery circuit.

Actual scenario will be HDB3 data feed to CD22103A input lines. CKR signal (used for clock recovery circuit) feed to 74HC4046
and 4046 output feed to CRX for synchronization.

data rate of HDB3 line is 2.048MHz

Do you have any references that 4046 is suited as clock recovery circuit for input signals similar to CKR? I fear it isn't.

The report states that 4046 is used for clock recovery but doesn't give any details, e.g. which phase detector (1, 2 or 3) is used and if 4046 needs support by additional hardware to perform clock extraction.

As far as I understand, PD 1 or 3 may work, not PD2 (actually a PFD). VCO frequency range must be restricted to a small range around 2.048 MHz to avoid locking to a wrong frequency.

Thank you @ FvM.
do you have any other idea for clock recovery circuit.
I tried PLL IC, but its not working yet.
can you help to estimate the parameters for PLL or Proteus simulation ?

Hi,

I used it, but not as PLL. I used the VCO and did the regulation digitally with a DAC.

Klaus

Anyone used PLL IC (CD4046) for his/her circuit ?
Many people, I presume, including myself. But I guess, you wanted to ask if anyone has a working CDR circuit based on 4046?

Hi,

The problem is still there.
PLL is not tunned yet.
How can we help?

First give complete and useful informations. (Schematic, input signals, scope pictures...)
Then ask a detailed question.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.