+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Advanced Member level 3

Helped
    267 / 267
    Level

Re: Implement I2C in VHDL

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There is nothing intrinsically better in the 2-process style. Why is the one process a failing?? And "aren't designed for HW development"?? That's EXACTLY what they were designed for; the H in HDL stands for hardware.
    You have next state and next value logic directly in two process style. The one process style make combinatorial outputs -- even used within the same module -- difficult. My point is that the HDLs could support two process but also get rid of most of the boilerplate automatically. It might mean a special class of signals that don't support delays or multiple drivers, but those are mostly for simulation and not used internally.

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 4
    Achievements:
    7 years registered Created Blog entry
    Helped
    252 / 252
    Level
    Blog Entries

You have next state and next value logic directly in two process style. The one process style make combinatorial outputs -- even used within the same module -- difficult. My point is that the HDLs could support two process but also get rid of most of the boilerplate automatically. It might mean a special class of signals that don't support delays or multiple drivers, but those are mostly for simulation and not used internally.
    It would be nice and meaningful if we can stick to the OPs problem and related stuff.
    FPGA enthusiast!

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13177 / 13177
    Level

I don't see a problem of HDL capabilities, you can write whatever you consider readable, e.g. have combinational and registered signal assignments, also different clock edges (using different signals, of course) in a single process. The question is, which hardware structure is appropriate and how can it be efficiently described.

Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

OP here again bringing some news.

Yesterday I achieved to send some info to the I2C GPIO Expander. The problem was I had the "repeated start" continuosly, but I made the communication and it was outputing voltage through the GPIO pins, so the ports were configurated and the value too.

Today I fixed that and I have a working Stop Condition, but I see some glitches I will try to correct.
    From now I will implement the read function, but at least I continue advancing on the project, so great. I will come back for more doubts or to post my work.

Cya soon and thanks for your help and support.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CapturaI2C_Envio.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	150034

•   AltAdvertisment

--[[ ]]--