Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power switching with mosfet and comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rompelstilchen

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power switching with mosfet and comparator

Hello,

the arduino I use does not deal with switching between the USB power and the battery connected to VIN pin

I made this design using an LM3393 comparator and an IRF7319...since I am not used to do this, I wanted to know if the schematic made sens, maybe I missed soething

Untitled.png

the 10k res is a pulldown resistor, not sure if this is needed

thanks

http://skory.gylcomp.hu/alkatresz/irf7319.pdf
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LM393-D.PDF

Doesn't work for several reasons, at least these:
- LM393 output is open collector an can't source voltage
- comparator threshold of 0V makes no sense

LM393 power supply isn't clear, I also fear that comparator and MOSFET substrate diodes may thwart the intended operation.

Hi,

Additionally to FvM:
If you want the N-Ch Mosfet low impedan e to get 5V at the source, then you need at least 5V_gate to source, which means 10V at gate referenced to GND.

My recommendation:
This is no new idea to switch between different power supplies, thus there are a lot if proven circuits around. No need to reinvent the wheel.
To make it simple with low dropout voltage: look for "ideal diode" circuits.

Klaus

sheers, I'll try to find a ready made circuit

- - - Updated - - -

I did no find any circuit to order online but I found explanations on how to make one

https://arduino.stackexchange.com/q...-with-both-the-usb-and-external-power-voltage

I also found an alternative schematic that says the same

**broken link removed**

NCP1117 has low drop out as you mentioned too

I still dont understand why would people prefer the battery power supply over the usb, I would wire it the other way around, like an UPS system
also the lp2985 seems overkill to me

Last edited:

Hi,

If that U5A is a comparator, as stated in post #2 it needs a pull-up resistor to operate (and the PMOS won't turn off without the pull-up either); if it's an op amp, they don't make good comparators. Minor criticism is the "mirrored" and therefore confusing layout of the schematic - i.e. USBVCC is "out"?

pfffff....I guess, I'll use agood ole f@#king mecanic switch...

dont have much choice here, the only breakout board I found for purchase involve usb/li-ion battery charging...which I dont use

Hi,

Give some specifications:
We know USB voltage should be 4.5V ... 5.5V.
* what is your PWRIN voltage range?
* what is your output (load) voltage range?
* what is the load current range?
* what is the switch function? You want to enable PWRIN as long as it is > 5V? (Independent of USB voltage?)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.