Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measure individual battery voltage when they are in parallel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rompelstilchen

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I build a system based on arduino, the thing is powered by two 9v batteries in parallel, for longer operation and battery hot swap

I wanted to know if it was possible to measure individual battery voltage (to display on an lcd) ?

since both + poles are connected together I can only measure both batteries

would adding a diode do the trick ?

here is a quick sketch I made

Untitled.png

Thanks

Hi,

If the batteries are connected in parallel --> both batteries will have the same voltage.

And if your idea is to temporarily disconnect both batteries to do the measurement, then I don't think you will gain some information from the two measurements.

What's the idea behind this setup?

Now you say "hot swap".
Then I recommend to use a mosfet for each battery...controlled by the microcontroller.
Or at least an "ideal diode" device not to waste too much energy.

Klaus

no, it's clearly intended for live measurement

I guessed , measuring one battery, no current from the other battery would flow through that diode,

so I would have expected that, before the diodes, the battery voltage would remain intact

I meant by "hot swap", having a battery replaced while the system is runing upon the other battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back