Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage probe for Oscilloscope 1000X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark5230

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using a USB Oscilloscope with 5 V input (Max).
I have a 10X probe
I wish to make a 100X input divider
This divider with 10 X probe will make it a 1000X arrangement that will allow me to measure 2 - 3 KV pulses in the range of about 100µs.
Any tips or link to appropriate source will help me trying this.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/110772/a-way-to-measure-unknown-high-voltages-with-an-oscilloscope

Here I found this circuit but am worried about the values of capacitors ( what to use).

HV Probe-1.jpg

I am just guessing but 1pf is approx 1-2cm of dangling wire. 15pf capacitors are rather easy to get and they will have perhaps 100-250v working rating.

In the circuit you present, the capacitors get the same voltage as the resistors. If each resistor is getting 250v, the total applied voltage is 2.5kv. You will need capacitors with at least 350v rating.

The layout will be important in this particular case. Also take usual precautions when using high voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back