Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculate the duration of a pulse with Arduino nano

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I use an Arduino nano. In the digital input 2, I send rectangular pulses, which means I have only two levels: 0 Volts and 5 Volts. I want to measure the duration of a pulse from the time the pulse rises to the time it falls. Of course, Arduino nano cannot support nanosecond accuracy, so I would like to measure the ON (5 Volts) level of the pulse in microseconds level accuracy. How do I realize this? Is there any example code I could follow in order to make this feasible?

Hi,

from hardware side the AVR usually has a "timer capture" feature.

But I don´t know if one can use this with Arduino software, because it usually needs fast software reaction time.

Klaus

You can attach I/O interrupt to the Arduino code and check how fast it can handle the input; it is a standard feature.

You can attach I/O interrupt to the Arduino code and check how fast it can handle the input; it is a standard feature.

"and check how fast it can handle the input" -> How do I do that?

The easy mode, something like that:

• Interrupt, detect low edge,
  • Take time (ms)
  • Interrupt, detect high edge
  • Take time (ms)
  • Subtract both measured times
  • Check the smaller pulse width able to be detected
The suited mode:

As Klaus mentioned, use timer capture feature to have more resolution.​

That's why I am interested in example code for Timers/Counter in Arduino, in order to see how it works. Is is very new to me Timers/Counter, I have no experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.